Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Love yourself

Every once in a while it occurs to me that I may not always be around to give you advice and I need to try and write some entries about things I've learned and my hopes for you. 

The most important thing to know (after that I love you more than anything ever) is to love yourself. I don't mean walking around thinking you're god's gift to everyone (even though I'd argue you are ;) I mean love yourself and respect yourself enough to demand that others do the same and to take care of yourself.
You are beautiful, you will always be. Remember that. Outer beauty is great but please please remember it's the beauty on the inside that really matters. It's how you treat other people. Always. 
Stand up for yourself but also stand up for others. I already know you have a sweet and kind heart and you will care deeply about others. Never lose that.

When you're old enough, take the time to get to really know yourself. Go out for coffee or hot chocolate (or whatever) and just take time to reflect on things you've done, ways you've treated people and places you've been. I truly believe people don't do this enough.
I learned the most about myself during my university years. Prior to that there was always something else I was hoping to be. Smarter, prettier, stronger, etc. I finally came to the realization that I'm just fine the way I am. In fact, I'm pretty happy about who I am. 
When you know and love yourself you are ready to know and love someone else (and let them know and love you).
Thankfully, by the time I met your dad, I was ready ;)

Be kind to your body. You only get one. Eat healthy most of the time, exercise and be safe (ok that's me being your mom). Stay away from drugs and alcohol (I'm sure we will have more discussions about this waaaaaay later on) or anything else that could jeopardize your health.

Some of this I say as your mom, wanting you to live and be happy forever but some I say as your friend wanting and knowing you can grow to be someone truly amazing (you already are, but you know what I mean).

I love you sweet girl

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment